Anyone who has kids or a younger sibling knows how dangerous it can be to let them play with small objects. It’s all too easy for a child to put something in their mouth and swallow it, potentially causing injury or even death. Naturally, the tiny cartridges for Nintendo Switch games are a potential choking hazard in the hands of a child. However, Nintendo came up with an interesting solution to this problem: denatonium benzoate. All Switch cartridges are coated in this non-toxic compound, which is currently the most bitter compound known and is also used in animal repellents, soaps, and nail-biting preventatives.

It wasn’t immediately clear, however, if this taste was actually intentional. When overly curious Switch buyers first got their hands, and mouths, on the cartridges, they weren’t sure whether this taste was merely a byproduct of the manufacturing process. Nintendo did respond to the inquiry, though, and they had this to say:

“To avoid the possibility of accidental ingestion, keep the game card away from young children. A bittering agent (Denatonium Benzoate) has also been applied to the game card. This bittering agent is non-toxic.” — Nintendo

Are you planning on testing the taste of the Switch cartridges yourself, or do you think you’ll leave this one alone? Let us know in the comments below!

Source: Kotaku

Our Verdict

Joshua Anderson
I'm just a guy who nearly screamed at the end of Shadow of The Colossus, and I'm 93% sarcasm.


    Leave a reply

    You may also like

    More in News