Bandai Namco is a known partner working with Nintendo on Smash Bros. 4, but an interesting job posting popped up looking to hire someone for Smash Bros. 6, slated to release next year. While the 6 in the title may have been a typo, what is more interesting could potentially be the fact that the job listed the game as coming out next year. This could imply Smash Bros. 4 has been delayed to 2015 and hasn’t been announced publicly yet. Of course, it could also suggest a new Smash Bros. is in development we don’t know about, though it would seem unlikely they would release a new game in back to back years.
- new Bandai Namco listing for “Smash Bros. 6” job recruitments
- looking for programmers
- expected to be released sometime in 2015 for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
- project currently has 120 people working on it
- expect that number to increase to 200
- programmers needed to handle characters, stages, 3D programming, motion, game mode, mini-games, menu, UI, and more
- the posting is now removed, but has been confirmed to be put online by Tatsuya Matsumura, a consultant
“Social games are currently a big hit, but the current state of job opportunities for making retail games is critically low. In the midst of this, this will likely be your only chance to be part of a development project for the Smash Bros. [series], which has surpassed a total of 10 million in worldwide sales. And Bandai Namco believes that now is the best time to recruit programmers for retail games.”
Of course, there is also a chance this could be to work on DLC, which is something the series has never had before but Nintendo seems much more open to embracing under the right circumstances. Given that this was a confirmed listing, it could imply any number of things. What do you take away from it?Remember, we do have a Smash Bros. Direct later today, so some of this may have light shed upon it – from getting a release date or a delay announcement – to announcing the game might contain future DLC packs. We may also not get any answers, as Nintendo Directs are wildly unpredictable. We’ll hopefully have that Direct for you live at 5pm CST.